Here is our data request form. You can reach us at [email protected] if you have questions about this process.
The PDAP team and volunteers work together to answer questions and learn about the police through public criminal legal system records.
- 1.Ask a question or make a hypothesis about the police. For example, "how do police misconduct settlements affect local budgets?" This is the "Why?" of our work.
- 2.Locate public records to help you answer this question. You may find what you need in our working Data Sources database.
- 3.Access the records however you can. Typically this happens via the internet or a public records request.
- 4.Use scrapers, if needed, to parse or process records into usable data. Read more about how PDAP approaches scraping here.
- 5.Analyze and report the results. Share your process in Discord, so we can learn and improve our processes together!